Seniors are a rapidly growing demographic and pose unique teaching challenges because of a broad range of abilities, functional changes, health conditions, and motivation. Learn how this diverse population can benefit from a relaxed pace, careful transitions, and a range of modifications.
Part I: Sat. October 28th 1pm-4pm
Learn how the aging process affects seniors and how to make your senior classes safe, fun and effective.
- Key health conditions
- Age-related functional changes
- Creating a safe, supportive environment
- The “Do’s and Don’ts” of teaching seniors
- Basic postures and sequences
- Where to find reliable resources
Part II: Sun. October 29th 1pm-4pm
Learn how to adapt asana, pranayama and meditative techniques based on the effects of aging. Gain hands-on experience in modifying yoga poses.
- Effects of aging
- Benefits of yoga for seniors
- Breath and meditation practices
- General class plan
- Ways to safely adapt poses for common age-related conditions. Sample: warm ups, cool downs, sequences and sun salutations