Kath Meadows, Director of Women Prisoner Initiatives at Prison Yoga Project, and Whitney Ingram, Prison Yoga Project teacher, will lead the training, drawing on 8 years of experience teaching yoga to men and women behind bars.
In this training we will explore Prison Yoga Project’s evidence-based, gender-informed approach to adapting yoga for those impacted by trauma, with a special focus on teaching in prisons and detention centers. Through the Prison Yoga Project’s trauma-informed teaching methodology we will learn how to effectively provide prisoners with the tools for self-rehabilitation while simultaneously strengthening our own practice. The training will include:
- An introduction to the physiology of trauma
- Instruction in specific trauma-informed asana, pranayama and meditation practices that have been proven effective with prisoners
- How to work in the unique socio-cultural environment of a prison
- Special considerations for teaching in a gender restricted environment
- Strategies for establishing yoga programs in detention facilities
- An exploration of the principles of Restorative Justice as practiced through yoga and meditation.
For more information on Prison Yoga Project and this workshop visit www.prisonyoga.org
Fri. Oct. 6 6:30pm-9:30pm, Sat. Oct. 7 12pm-6:30pm, Sun. Oct. 8 12pm-6:30pm,